Friday 15 March 2013

Chocolate Fudge Cake

I've neglected my blog recently but I'm back and hope to blog more regular. I have still been baking and cooking but I post about it all on my Facebook page. I find it's quicker and I don't have to do a  big write up like on here, not that I have to on here but you get my drift. If you haven't joined my Facebook page, please do so and say hello. 

I baked this cake for Mother's Day last Sunday, a favourite in our home and always a hit, my boys loved it. This weekend I am baking the obligatory Chocolate Guinness Cake or cupcakes for St Paddy's Day. 

Have a great weekend and I will be back next week to blog my Guinness cake.


Chocolate Fudge Cake

Ingredients

For the cake:
400g plain flour
250g golden caster sugar
100g light brown muscovado sugar
50g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium eggs
142ml sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
125ml corn oil
300ml water, chilled

For the fudge icing:
175g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
250g unsalted butter, softened
275g icing sugar, sieved
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Method
Preheat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oC/gas mark 4.
Butter and line the bottom of two 20cm sandwich tins.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt. In another bowl or wide-necked measuring jug whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended. Using a freestanding or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this if using the hand whisk; the freestanding mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually.
Bake the cakes for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out onto the rack to cool completely.
To make the icing, melt the chocolate in the microwave - 2-3 minutes on medium should do it - or in a bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water, and let cool slightly.
In another bowl beat the butter until it's soft and creamy (again, I use the KitchenAid here) and then add the sieved icing sugar and beat again until everything's light and fluffy. I know sieving is a pain, the one job in the kitchen I really hate, but you have to do it or the icing sugar will be unsoothingly lumpy. Then gently add the vanilla and chocolate and mix together until everything is glossy and smooth.

Sandwich the middle of the cake with about a quarter of the icing sugar, and then ice the top and sides too, spreading and smoothing with a rubber spatula.

7 comments:

Tina Robson said...

Looks yummy, it's my little girls birthday next week and I might try this.

The Wandering Pit said...

That looks delicious! Can I have a piece? ; ) I´ve been wanting to try out the Guiness cake myself but haven´t got around to it yet!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I've heard these cakes are delicious and yours is gorgeous. I just want to cut into and whip a slice out to chomp on.

Hello said...

Glad to see you are back with your blog. Your cake, as always, looks delicious x

sonia said...

That looks gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Just found your blog, it is lovely, so pretty with the ponk border. Love this choc cake recipe, sounds delicious. My blog is http://www.astartemoonblog.com/ if you would like to pay a visit! blessings from a fellow Goddess xxx

Victor said...

This is cool!