Saturday 30 April 2011

Rocky Road Crunch Bars

Most years I go crazy and buy too many Easter Eggs but this year I limited myself to buying only a few and we enjoyed my bakes instead. I did however get given a very big Easter egg from my mother in law of which I only managed to eat some of the yummy choc truffles before I started my diet. So today I decided to put the left over chocolate egg and some mini eggs to good use and make this adapted version of Rocky Road. Don't worry I haven't fallen off the diet wagon, infact I'm doing very well and my clothes are starting to feel loose, tomorrow is weigh in day so we shall see. My son, his family and one of his friends are coming to stay today and these bars of sheer chocolate pleasure are for them. Unfortunately hubby is away in Madrid on business so none for him!



Rocky Road Crunch Bars

Ingredients
125g butter
350g left over Easter egg chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tbsp golden syrup
200g digestive biscuits
100g mini eggs
100g mini marshmallows, extra for decoration

Heat the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat, scoop out about 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted mixture and set aside in a bowl.

Place the biscuits into a plastic freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin until some have turned to crumbs but there are still pieces of biscuit remaining.

Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, then add the marshmallows and mini eggs.

Tip the mixture into a 24cm/9in square baking tin and smooth the top with a wet spatula.Pour over the reserved 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted chocolate mixture and smooth the top with a wet spatula. Decorate with extra marshmallows.

Refrigerate for about two hours or overnight. To serve, cut into 24 fingers.

12 comments:

Choclette said...

These sound delicious and I'm very impressed that you are refraining from eating them and didn't eat your Easter egg. I've yet to make rocky road and with some leftover mini eggs and marshmallows lurking somewhere, I think it's about time I gave this a try.

Chele said...

Just the sight of those bars is enough to make me fall off the wagon!! Your will power is impressive ;0)

Caroline said...

They look really delicious Maria, and I just happen to have all the ingredients in my cupboard! Yum!

Like Choclette I don't think I've ever made rocky road. Might have to rectify that!

Kelly-Jane said...

Yum yum! You are doing well not to eat any :)

Reeni said...

These are delectable Maria! A great way to use up the leftover chocolates!

Gloria Baker said...

these crunche bars look delicious MarĂ­a! xx gloria

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

These look really good! nothing beats a Rocky Road!

The Caked Crusader said...

Lovely. How tempting do the bars look all piled up together on a plate?

Ivy said...

These bars look so tempting I could eat them all:)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love these types of choc bars - always taste fab

Kim said...

Oooh these look great - I'm not a huge fan of rocky road but I love how it looks. Great idea to use up Easter egg leftovers too - I'd been stressing about how much chocolate was left over that I would be forced to eat (!) but this is a great way to use it up - thanks for sharing!

Maggie said...

These are a great idea and look amazing.