Wednesday 28 January 2009

Lemon Sour Cream Loaf Cake

This Lemon Sour Cream Loaf Cake recipe produces a really, really moist, scrumptious tangy slice of citrus heaven, drizzled with a lemon glaze. Do not be put off by the mixture of sour cream and mayonnaise, I’ve used mayonnaise in baked goods before and it works, as crazy as it sounds!! This sweet, luscious and tart loaf cake will not disappoint those of us who love citrusy cakes, definitely one of the best lemon cakes I’ve made so far. A perfect cake to have for afternoon tea or as a dessert alongside some raspberries. A must bake cake!

Lemon Sour Cream Loaf Cake

For the cake:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
juice of 1 lemon

For the glaze:
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp milk
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp water

Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously butter 9-inch loaf pan. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, eggs, oil, and lemon juice in large bowl; whisk until well blended. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan. Place cake on baking sheet in oven and bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.) Whisk together the glaze ingredients, until smooth. Spoon over the cake, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides. Let glaze cool and set before slicing and serving.

20 comments:

Finla said...

Wow cake with mayonaise, that is womething i have never tasted.
The cake looks so yumm.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Sounds lovely and tangy. I've never used mayonaise before - will have to try

Anne said...

That looks so delicious, though I really cannot stand mayonaise and its never in the fridge! I wonder if just increasing sour cream might work?

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone!

Anne~ You can definitely increase the sour cream. I like using mayo cos of how moist it makes the cakes, after all mayo is eggs and oil, which is why it works in cakes.

Maria
x

Reeni said...

I've had cakes with mayo in them and you are so right. They are incredibly moist. This looks so delicious! I would love a slice to eat with my tea and comfort me! Were up to our ears in snow today.

Semlan said...

Mmmm...looks delicious and sounds very interesting indeed! Will try this in a very near future! :)

Mila said...

Looks really yummy...and simple! Will try!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Looks lovely! I made a chocolate cake with mayonnaise a few months ago - it was delicious.

Gigi said...

I just want to lick the icing off your cake! YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe. This sounds like a great cake!

The Blonde Duck said...

This sounds wonderful! Yum!

Maria said...

I love lemon cakes!! I have never used mayo before though! Looks good!

Maggie said...

I can't resist citrus cakes and this looks delicious.

AK Mom said...

Yum...I just love loaf cakes, and this looks soooo delicious! :)
A very cute award awaits you. Please visit my blog to accept my gratitude. :)
(http://akbaking.blogspot.com)

Coby said...

While I love lemons I have never really taken to lemon cakes. Could this be the cake to work to my taste Maria? I don't have a problem with the one unusual addition, but I wonder, have you tried different brands and still found great results? Obviously we don't want low fat, but they all have their particular flavours - does this show in the cake?

PS your cake LOOK amazing!

giz said...

I love the look of this loaf - it totally looks moist and the lemon is the deal maker.

Rosie said...

Oh this looks a beauty of a loaf cake mmmmmm... I adore citrus fruits in loafs and this ones def bookmarked ;)

Rosie x

Nickki said...

Wow that looks so good! It must be really moist with the sour cream and mayonnaise. I've never tried using mayo in a cake before, but I believe it's very common in the US. I must give it a try! :)

Anonymous said...

kitchen goddess u mentioned lemon extract..i didnt see in the ingredients list..would lemon zest suffice?

Maria♥ said...

Lemon zest would be fine and sorry for the typo, not sure why I have lemon extract in there!

Anonymous said...

I just made this cake and followed the recipe exactly. It was moist and delicious and got rave reviews but it was not particularly lemony. I'd go heavier on the lemon juice and add lots of lemon zest to the cake and the icing if you want it to be lemony! You could not taste the mayo in the baked cake at all in case people are nervous about that. never baked with amyo and was a bit sceptical but it made the cake super moist - the texture was perfect!