Wednesday 21 January 2009

Gâteau au Yaourt~(Yogurt Cake)

I bought some Greek yogurt last week with the idea of making a dessert at the weekend but I never got round to it. This morning I was faced with the dilemma of what to do with the soon to expire yogurt? And then I remembered a glorious simple recipe for a French-style Yogurt cake I’d seen recently online that had received great reviews. This is a very quick and easy cake to make; it is often the first cake that French kids learn how to bake. I adore how fluffy and moist this cake is, without it being too sweet! Perfect for anytime of the day.

Gâteau au Yaourt

Ingredients
2 eggs
250ml (1 cup) whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt
200g (1 cup) sugar
80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste/extract
1 tablespoon light rum

Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F), line the bottom of a round 25-cm (10-inch) cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides. In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil, and rum. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend together -- don't overwork the dough. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand for ten minutes, and transfer onto a rack to cool.

19 comments:

Maria said...

I adore yogurt cakes! Yours looks wonderful!

Finla said...

Wowo you made this with youghurtt. It has to be very healthy.
It looks so good, i can have double portions as it is healthier.
A manner of speaking ;-)

Alex said...

Ah great! I have some yogurt to use up so might give this a whirl in the next few days!

Rosie said...

What a beautiful cake Maria! Oooh I would love a slice with my cuppa :0)

Rosie x

Nic said...

That looks really good! I must admit that I've not used yogurt in a cake before.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Maria that cake looks so light and moist, just what we need at this time of year.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That cake looks so fluffy and gorgeous Maria. I would love to indulge in a slice. I must note down the recipe :)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Ive never used yogurt in a cake before - looks lovely and moist

arista said...

That looks so nice - I'm going to try this recipe! I've used yogurt in cakes with a lot of success too - and I add it to muffins sometimes if I have some that needs using up, in place of some of the oil and milk - it adds an interesting texture.

Sally said...

I too have made this cake. Delish, infact, too delish. LOL
Now I feel the need to make it again.

Coby said...

There seem to be so many variations on a yoghurt cake! This one looks lovely using real yoghurt (as opposed to flavoured ones) I always have on hand. Though I admit, I always use way past use by date yoghurt unless it's genuinely turned *blush* I think the excuse to bake a cake is much the better idea though:D

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Hi Maria - A Happy New Year to you too! The Yoghurt cake looks lovely - am thinking of using some full cream yoghurt from the Turkish store near me.

Reeni said...

I wish I had a slice to have with my cup of tea! Perfect and delicious!

Abitofafoodie said...

I haven't had a yoghurt cake for ages - it looks really good. I'm told that yoghurt cake is one of the few types of cake that will rise properly at high altitude - i.e. in a ski resort. A similar recipe that I came across years ago said that it was a favourite of chalet girls in the Alps for that reason!
Glad you are now feeling better, Maria.

Nickki said...

That cake looks so good Maria! I'm going to make a yoghurt cake today, it's from a Dorie Greenspan book.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the kind comments ;o)

This is definitely a cake worth making and one that keeps very well!

Maria
x

Ruth Strong said...

Oooooh I have some yoghurt i need to use up, this sounds like a perfect recipe for it!

Thanks
Ruth

Anonymous said...

oooh! I made this today and it is scrummy! Doing Weight Watchers too and it works out to be not that lethal points wise! Yay!

Anonymous said...

This was the BEST cake. Light and subtle- perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. It also is very diet friendly. :)